Sunday, February 1, 2015

January at Marlowe

We've been having lots of fun learning about the Arctic and Antarctic this month. We have made some beautiful projects, learned penguin poems, Inuit songs, and some fun facts about the north and south poles. 
We read Sunshine Makes the Seasons by Franklyn Branley and learned that though we have four seasons, the poles only have two. We also loved Penguin Chicks by Betty Tatham. I think it's safe to say the the emperor penguin is a class favorite. We even learned a silly poem about the species:

Mr. Penguin
On top of an iceberg, All covered with snow,
I saw my first, penguin And I wanted to know.
Oh is it a bird,
Or is is a fish?
I looked at his feathers,
And knew which was which.
I said, "Mr. Penguin,
Which species are you?"
He said, "I'm an emperor,
And not a gentoo."
I said, "Mr. Penguin,
What's under you patch?"
He said, "It's an egg,
It's ready to hatch!"
I said, "Mr. Penguin,
Oh, where is your wife?"
"She's out in the ocean,
She'll be back tonight."
Said Mr. Penguin,
"Her name is Jill.
She's out in the ocean,
Feeding on krill."
The next thing I knew,
I heard a small peep.
And I saw a chick,
At the emperor's feet!

You can check out our latest newsletter for Arctic and Antarctic facts to ask your child. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment